search

Monday 3 August 2015

Belted Kingfisher - Male and Juvenile Female

I had been watching a family of Kingfishers for a few days and so had picked a spot where I might have a chance at a few photos. I was pleasantly surprised when the male I had photographed earlier flew in with a fair sized fish - a flounder if I'm not mistaken.
I was even happier when the young juvenile female flew in behind the male with her own fish- albeit much smaller.
Another look at that flounder, just to get a better idea of the size.
After consuming her own fish the young bird waited while the adult repeatedly bashed the flounder on the branch trying to kill it. This went on for many minutes.
When the fish was deemed ready it was handed (beaked) off to the young bird.
She was pretty excited to get it.
Although I didn't witness it I assume she swallowed the fish whole.
After which she went right back to fishing. I guess they learn young because she was pretty adept, catching at least one more fish in the time I was there.

2 comments:

Claudia MacLachlan said...

an incredible series of shots!

Russel Crosby said...

Thanks Claudia, I was pretty happy with them.