search

Friday 9 April 2021

Harlequins, Purple Sandpipers

 I noticed the Harlequin ducks close to shore one day and decided I wanted to photograph them if I could get down without them seeing me approach. I managed to hide behind a rock ledge as the tide was still coming and waited to see if they would get closer. They did. I took a few photos and from out of nowhere a flock of Purple Sandpipers flew into view. As I wondered about where they might be headed, the whole flock decided to land on the ledge I was lying on.  I couldn't decide what to focus my camera on - the ducks were getting closer and the sandpipers were right in front of me. The light wasn't ideal, it was still mid-afternoon and the tide was still coming, threatening to get me wet. If you know Harlequin ducks you know they like feeding when the surf is high. I made images of both species until I had to retreat to higher ground. The sandpipers had already left the area. February 21.








No comments: