search

Monday 26 September 2022

Whimbrel and Peregrine - The Chase and the Outcome

 On a recent trip to photograph shorebirds I happened to find a lone Whimbrel. I tend to focus (no pun intended) on the more challenging subjects when I'm out and Whimbrels certainly fit that category. The numbers tend to drop as Summer progresses so it's not uncommon to see one or two birds rather than the larger flocks from earlier in the season. 

I had just got into position to try and take some photos from a distance when the bird took flight. It was preceded by all the smaller shorebirds behind me flying over me and headed in the opposite direction.


What followed was unexpected both by me and the shorebirds although I expect they were more aware that there was a Peregrine Falcon in the area than I was.







The last I saw of the Whimbrel it was still being pursued by the falcon until I lost sight of both birds well out over the ocean.


 I'm unsure about the fate of the Whimbrel except that I assume it escaped since less than a half hour later the Peregrine flew back up the beach empty handed (taloned?).


The Whimbrel may have been lucky it was a juvenile Peregrine since had it been an adult the outcome may have been different.

No comments: