search

Thursday 16 April 2015

Eagles in the Marsh

I had been noticing Eagles hanging out near the local pond recently although I hadn't had  chance to check it out. When I finally did, this was the first bird
I saw carrying the remains of what appears to be a fish skeleton.

I thought the bird had left until it flew into my viewfinder as I scouted for ducks.

I'm not sure what it was after - ducks or muskrat possibly - as it landed in the marsh.


When it took flight it flew directly toward me.


This is probably a 1st year immature Bald Eagle - not showing any white on the head or tail yet lacking the lighter belly of a 2nd year bird.


I think it was startled by the sound of my camera shutter and turned to fly in the opposite direction.

A little later a second bird flew in - this one a second year bird with a mostly white underside. April 5, East Jordan

No comments: