search

Thursday 14 January 2016

Overwintering Great Blue Herons



  There are usually a few Great Blue Herons that choose to overwinter in this area. How well they do generally depends on the severity of the winter. Generally it seems like it's more often the juvenile birds that are here this time of year like this bird that I found at Little Port L'Hebert on January 8. We've had a pretty mild winter to date so there is still lots of open water for them to feed.

This bird, also a juvenile seemed to be having a problem with it's right leg. I found this bird on January 2 near Matthew's Lake. I think it's likely the same bird I've seen in the area since before Christmas. I hope it's able to survive the winter but given it's condition and the fact that the winter is likely to get a lot harsher in the coming weeks I don't hold out much hope.

No comments: