search

Thursday 24 August 2023

No Shorebirds to Speak of

 As I stated in the last post I went back the following day to, hopefully, get better images of Pectoral Sandpipers. There was still at least one in the area but I didn't succeed in getting close to it. I thought if I waited patiently it might come to me. I didn't see it again. When the other shorebirds jumped from the pond I was at I went looking for another location with birds. I didn't find a better spot and the clouds had moved in but as I'm waking out of the marsh I see something I wasn't expecting.  Maybe I should have expected it since there were lots of tracks on the beach.  But as I'm looking over I see three coyotes looking back at me.

I decided it might be a good time to depart the marsh but it's a good 200 yards to where I left my backpack. I make it back and realize I dropped something on the way out and have to go back to find it. This time I'm taking a stick for protection. 99 percent of the time coyotes will turn and run when they see a human and so as I'm going back in the marsh one coyote does just that. There is only one left at this point but he's still watching me as I walk toward it. Eventually he turns and joins the others and I don't see them again. I've been back a couple times since and although I saw a lot of tracks the first time, the past weekend there were none. I'm thinking they might have had a passing interest in some of the shorebirds I was trying to photograph.




No comments: