search

Wednesday 29 November 2017

Birds and Berries - Part 3 - Scarlet Tanager

As I mentioned in a previous post there had been a Summer Tanager in the area and as I waited for the possibility of that bird showing up in a spot where I could get a decent photo this Scarlet Tanager arrived instead. While I'm not that happy with the quality of the shots - again, it was soft light and the bird wasn't in the best spot for a photo - I was very exited to see this bird since they are a rarity here.

I'm more familiar with how they look in the Spring with their bright red plumage that gives them their name. This may be the first time I've seen a male in Winter plumage, at least in the past twenty years or so. I have a faint recollection of seeing one in the Fall with faint wing bars when I first started birding that had me confused at the time but does occur in some juveniles. November 1, East Jordan.




No comments: