search

Sunday 19 November 2017

Pectoral Sandpiper - Out of Hiding

This bird was part of a flock of several birds that were feeding/hiding in the grass at Matthew's Lake. I wasn't aware they were there until they jumped almost at my feet. Although I was surprised at the moment it happened I wasn't surprised that they were there in the location I found them. It's pretty typical habitat for them and I've found them in the same general location in past years.

This was my second attempt to get close enough for a photo, on the first try both the sandpipers and myself were startled when a Northern Harrier made a low pass flyover and the birds all jumped in unison. The bird in these photos slowly made it's way out of cover and allowed a clear shot before I left them in peace. October 1.




No comments: